Category Archives: Apple and PC world

Back to the land of happy WiFi: from 3 x Airport Extremes to one Ruckus R710

I am a long time user of Apple’s Airport Extreme base stations. I loved pretty much everything about them – compact design, lack of protruding external antennae, stable connectivity, ease of configuration through a well-designed Airport Configuration Utility, and on-going firmware updates, even for the 9-year old one (!). For a variety of reasons, over time I ended up owning three of them – 2nd, 4th, and 5th gen, extending WiFi around the house (it’s a rental, so no CAT cabling).

In recent years, however, things have slowly but surely drifted toward sour. Airport Configuration Utility has been dumbed down a lot, and firmware stability seems to have taken a hit, too – I don’t remember ever needing to reboot a base station until a few years ago. The number of connected devices in the house has grown steadily – I consistently see around 10–15 connected at any given time. More and more neighbours’ access points popped up around. Usage patterns have also changed – kids have grown up, and now study and entertain themselves on various devices around the house.

So the connectivity grew spottier and less stable, and I couldn’t make things happy again no matter what I tried. Real-time online games kept stuttering, and chatting over the net kept breaking up. Not all the time, but often enough to be a nuisance. And in the backyard.. Well, there was no usable reception there, let’s leave it at that.

So enough was enough, and search for a replacement has begun.

Continue reading


Solved: slow Windows guest performance in Fusion 8.1 on El Capitan

For a little while, I was bummed by poor peformance of a Windows 8.1 guest running in Fusion 8.1 on El Capitan. Not sure which one of these was the main contributor, but the experience was painful – switching between apps was taking few seconds, which just didn’t seem right considering it’s running on a current MacBook Pro with plenty of RAM, CPU power, and a fast SSD.

Long story short – looks like I’ve found a cure. This solution worked like magic for me:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2539725#2539725

For those not willing to visit the source – I added the following to the vmx file:

mainMem.backing = "swap"
scsi0:0.virtualSSD = 1
MemTrimRate = "0"
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

Looks like these settings have originated from the following post:

VMware Performance Enhancing Tweaks (Over-the-Counter Solutions)

Happy computing! 🙂